In 2016-2017 I established and co-coached a new student Baroque Ensemble at the Maritime Conservatory. I also undertook training to tune and maintain the Maritime Conservatory harpsichords so that they could be used regularly by faculty and students. Thanks to our collaboration with the Early Music Society of Nova Scotia, we also have access to Baroque bows, instruments, and other resources. This ensemble performs at the Maritime Conservatory and at Early Music Society events.
FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
Baroque Ensemble: Repertoire and Personnel, 2018-2019
Tutti Ensemble: Iste Confessor and O Rosetta che Rosetta by Monteverdi
Sub-group #1: Bach Trio Sonata in Gmaj, BWV1039, mvts 1&2: Indi & Andre (violins), Russell (bassoon), and Matthew (harpsichord)
Sub-group #2: Händel finale duet “Per abbattere il rigore” from Aminta e Fillide: Eve & Tarah (sopranos), Andre & Indi (violins), Mary (harpsichord), and Chris (cello)
Sub-group #3: Quantz Trio Sonata in Cmaj, 2 movements: Miriam (traverso), Daniel (recorder), Russell (bassoon), and Alfhild (harpsichord)
Sub-group #4: Mixed consort. Various short pieces: Daniel, Miriam, Steve (tenor viol), and Alfhild (traverso), with Jen floating
Sub-group #5: Händel “Se pietà di me non senti” from Guilio Cesare: Lindsay (soprano), Mary (harpsichord), Steve (tenor viol), and Andre (violin)
Baroque Ensemble: Proposed Performances Jan to June 2019
- Sat. Jan. 26, 7:30pm (run-through at 6:30pm), Bethany United Church, 7171 Clinton Ave. Halifax: Early Music Society of Nova Scotia's "Mid-Winter Tune-Up". Tutti: the Monteverdis.
- Sun. Feb. 3, afternoon: Maritime Conservatory winter senior general recitals (either 2pm or 3:30). Tutti: the Monteverdis.
- Fri. Apr. 5, 8pm (Adult) or Sun. Apr. 7 afternoon (Senior): Maritime Conservatory spring general recitals. Sub-group repertoire. Your group(s) will perform on whichever date suits you and all the members of your group.
- Sat. May 25, 6pm: Maritime Conservatory Birks Ensemble Concert. Whichever groups wish to play and are available can play, including tutti Monteverdis if everyone is available (may have to limit to 1 movement each for time constraints).
- Sun. June 2, 7:30pm: Joint full concert with Maritime Conservatory Traditional Music Ensemble in Lillian Piercy Concert Hall, Maritime Conservatory. For very group that can possibly be involved; substitute players could be found if an individual member in a given group cannot come.
- Sat. June 15, afternoon, exact time and venue TBA: The annual general meeting of the Early Music Society of NS, which includes a short concert. Sub-group repertoire.
Baroque Ensemble: Upcoming Rehearsals
(all in Room 12 unless otherwise stated)
Sub-group #3, Quantz: Sun. Jan. 6, 3:30pm
Lesson for cello with Hilary Brown: Fri. Jan. 11, 7pm.
Sub-group #2, Händel Aminta e Fillide: Sun. Jan. 13, 3:00pm-4:00pm
Sub-group #1, Bach: Sun. Jan. 13, 4:00pm-5:00pm
Sub-group #5, Händel Guilio Cesare: Sat. Jan. 19, 2:00pm-3:00pm
Sub-group #4, mixed consort: Sat. Jan. 19, 3:30pm-4:30pm
Lesson for violins with Karen Langille: Sat. Jan. 19, 4:45-5:45pm
Tutti Monteverdis: Sun. Jan. 20, 3:30-5:00pm Dress rehearsal CANCELLED for weather forecast (see below).
Tutti Monteverdis: EMSMS Mid-Winter Tune-Up dress rehearsal (rescheduled from Jan. 20) and performance:
Plan A: Sat. Jan. 26, 5:30 - 6:45 at Bethany United Church, 7171 Clinton Ave. Halifax: dress rehearsal, starting with Iste Confessor, then O Rosetta.
6:45 - 7:30 Break. Bring water and something to snack on.
7:30 Tune-Up begins.
Plan B: Sat. Jan. 26, 4:30 at Maritime Conservatory in Room 12: dress rehearsal. Bring snacks and water for in between if you can't go home. Commute afterwards to Bethany United, 7171 Clinton Ave. Halifax.
6:30 at Bethany United: Run O Rosetta.
7:30 Tune-Up begins.
Tutti Monteverdis: Sun. Feb. 3, exact time in afternoon TBA: arrive to tune up before performance in one of two MCPA senior winter recitals.
Sub-group #2, Händel Aminta e Fillide: Sun. Feb. 10, 3:00pm-4:00pm
Sub-group #3, Quantz: Sun. Feb. 10, 4:00pm-5:00pm
Sub-group #4, Mixed consort: Fri.. Feb. 15, 7:00pm-8:pm
Sub-group #5, Händel Guilio Cesare: Fri. Feb. 22, 7:00-8:00pm. Guest instructor: Garth MacPhee
Sub-group #1, Bach: Sun. Feb. 24, 3:30-4:30pm