In 2016-2017 I established and co-coached a new student Baroque Ensemble at the Maritime Conservatory. I also undertook training to tune and maintain the Maritime Conservatory harpsichords so that they could be used regularly by faculty and students. Thanks to our collaboration with the Early Music Society of Nova Scotia, we also have access to Baroque bows, instruments, and other resources. This ensemble performs at the Maritime Conservatory and at Early Music Society events.
FOR CURRENT STUDENTS
Baroque Ensemble: Repertoire and Personnel, 2018-2019
Tutti Ensemble: Iste Confessor and O Rosetta che Rosetta by Monteverdi
Sub-group #1: Bach Trio Sonata in Gmaj, BWV1039, mvts 1&2: Indi & Andre (violins), Russell (bassoon), and Matthew (harpsichord)
Sub-group #2: Händel finale duet from Arminte e Filide: Eve & Tarah (sopranos), Andre & Indi (violins), Mary (harpsichord), and Chris (cello)
Sub-group #3: Quantz Trio Sonata in Cmaj, 2 movements: Miriam (traverso), Daniel (recorder), Russell (bassoon), and Alfhild (harpsichord)
Sub-group #4: Mixed consort. Various short pieces: Daniel, Miriam, Steve (tenor viol), and Alfhild (traverso), with Jen floating
Proposed Sub-group #5: Lindsay (soprano), Mary (harpsichord), and others TBD, repertoire TBD
Baroque Ensemble: Proposed Performances Jan to June 2019
- Sat. Jan. 26, 7:30pm, Bethany United Church, 7171 Clinton Ave. Halifax: Early Music Society of Nova Scotia's "Mid-Winter Tune-Up". Tutti: the Monteverdis.
- Sun. Feb. 3, afternoon: Maritime Conservatory winter senior general recitals (either 2pm or 3:30). Tutti: the Monteverdis.
- Fri. Apr. 5, 8pm (Adult) or Sun. Apr. 7 afternoon (Senior): Maritime Conservatory spring general recitals. Sub-group repertoire. Your group(s) will perform on whichever date suits you and all the members of your group.
- Sat. May 25, 6pm: Maritime Conservatory Birks Ensemble Concert. Whichever groups wish to play and are available can play, including tutti Monteverdis if everyone is available (may have to limit to 1 movement each for time constraints).
- June 15, afternoon, exact time and venue TBA: The annual general meeting of the Early Music Society of NS, which includes a short concert. Sub-group repertoire.
Baroque Ensemble: Upcoming Rehearsals
Sub-group #4, Mixed consort: Sat. Dec. 8, 3:00
Sub-group #1, Bach: Sun. Dec. 9, 3:45
Sub-group #2, Händel: Sun. Dec. 16, 3:30
Sub-group #3, Quantz: Sun. Jan. 6, 3:30
To be scheduled in early January: Coaching for tenor viol and cello by Hilary Brown; Coaching for violins and viola by Karen Langille.
Sun. Jan. 20, 3:30-5:00pm: Tutti dress rehearsal of the Monteverdis, in preparation for the Mid-Winter Tune-Up (Jan. 26) and the MCPA Senior recital (Feb. 3)